Pray for Katie

Katie is 13 years old and was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, a lymphatic cancer. This site is a request to pray for her. Call her prayer pager 1-361-333-KATY (5289), enter your ZipCode and # key, to let her know you have prayed for her. Updates of her progress will be posted on the site. The Power of Prayer is Awesome.

Friday, February 25, 2005

P.E.T. Scan

I went in for a PET scan. Now that wasn't for my dog. A PET scan is a 3-dimensional Positron Emission Tomagraphy hence the name PET scan. A tumor or cancer takes up sugar rapidly, it just loves it and feeds on it. So they injected me with a radioactive sugar of 6mCi of Fluorine-18 Deoxyglucose which they call FDG. The stuff is so radioactive they have to keep it in a lead box and shield it with lead blocks the size of bricks. Fortunately it has a half life of only a few hours.

I had completed two rounds of chemotherapy now and this was to tell us how active the tumor was, how effective the chemo was, and if it was spreading. My Mom and Dad and I were praying for a miracle that the tumor would be gone. I didn't want to undergo any more chemo.

The results came back. It was still there. Depressing. They said "Despite the size and bulkiness of this tumor, the amount of FDG uptake appears to be mild." I took that to be good and that we were making some progress. Dr. Alter told me I would have to undergo two more rounds of chemotherapy and then a round of radiation.

Katie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home