Pray for Katie

Katie is 13 years old and was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, a lymphatic cancer. This site is a request to pray for her. Call her prayer pager 1-361-333-KATY (5289), enter your ZipCode and # key, to let her know you have prayed for her. Updates of her progress will be posted on the site. The Power of Prayer is Awesome.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Lost My Hair

I had my first Chemo in the hospital on Jan 15, 16, 17, and 18th and then went back to the clinic for my final injections on the 21st. I receive six chemo drugs. They are Doxorubicin, Bleomycin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone, and Cyclophosphamide. Five of them are given with an IV solution put into my Chemo port. I am on chemo for 8 days out of a 21 day cycle. The chemo causes lots of problems including nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, aches and pains inside the bones and joints, constipation, decrease in the number of red and white blood cells and platelets made in the bone marrow, with reduced immunity to disease and infection, and hair loss.

My hair started to fall out on the 22nd. First a few strands in my brush and on my sweater, then by handfuls. I couldn't stand it any longer so I took a scissor and cut the rest of it off. Then I took a hair clipper and cut it at the scalp. In a few more days the remaining hair on my head fell out and I was slick as a cue ball. I saw kids on the hospital cancer floor without hair but I really didn't think I would lose my hair that fast!