Pray for Katie

Katie is 13 years old and was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, a lymphatic cancer. This site is a request to pray for her. Call her prayer pager 1-361-333-KATY (5289), enter your ZipCode and # key, to let her know you have prayed for her. Updates of her progress will be posted on the site. The Power of Prayer is Awesome.

Friday, January 07, 2005

How it Began

This is when it all began. I had a bad cough for about 2 weeks before this. That morning my Mom noticed that my upper chest below my neck was raised and swollen. My Dad took me to the emergency room at Driscoll Children's Hospital in Corpus Christi, Texas. They took some blood tests and some chest xrays. It took hours, and then they wanted a Cat Scan too and I had to drink some nasty shake liquids.

My blood tests showed I had a microplasma pneumonia. They said the xray showed I had lots of fluid on one of my lungs. They also noticed a large mass in my chest. They said the Cat Scan would tell us more. They said I would have to stay in the hospital a while.

Up till this time I've never really been sick at all and never missed a day of school. My only symptoms when school let out for Christmas was ocassional night sweets and my skin was very itchy and I scratched my legs a lot. I learned later that these were symptoms of Hodgkin's disease, but we had no way of knowing that at the time. Parents would be wise to have their kids checked for cancer. The chance of getting cancer today is 1 in 3. Guess I was that one. There are so many kids, some as young as 2 and 5 years old with cancer on this floor. It is sad. All I can do is ask why? It shouldn't be that way. Someone needs to research why kids like us are getting cancer. I lead a healthy life in the country. Is it due to childhood vaccinations?

Katie